Zen Meditation Program
If you had been a Zen student at either ALB or LZT and wish to continue your Program, please contact the School Administration with further details stating your intentions. Alternatively you can apply directly at MEDS and begin your Program anew.
The purpose of this program is to offer training in Zen for those who cannot regularly
attend a meditation group or church; for those who would like to learn more about meditation; and for those who plan to start and/or lead a local mediation group, including those preparing for ordination.
The program consists of both long-distance elements
and practice. The pace and duration of the entire training can be determined
individually or on terms to be arranged between student and teacher. Generally,
it should take between one to three years, depending on the student’s prior
practice, commitment and spiritual growth.
A Certificate of Completion or Teaching can issued by the School at the end of training, depending on the student’s aim.
1. Commit to daily practice of meditation in the style of Zen and communicate with the teacher how the practice is progressing.
2. Enter a regular email exchange with the teacher about Zen realization in your life.
3. Study an assigned number of books, one at a time, as determined by the teacher, and
discuss these books from time to time with the teacher.
4. Once directed, compose two meditation talks per year in essay form; or lead a meditation talk at a community (upon arrangement).
5. Attend at least one retreat per year (upon arrangement).
The tuition is based on a monthly sliding scale.